Do you ever wonder sometimes how landscapers and landowners can make a smooth and clean line for their lawn or pathway? The secret is out – they typically use a lawn edger for that.
However, the problem with most power tools for garden and lawn use is that they mostly consume gas, which is bad for the environment. Don’t worry – there are now alternatives that are eco-friendlier. We list down our picks for the best cordless lawn edger to help you landscape your garden or lawn without harming Mother Nature in the process.
Cordless Lawn Edger Reviews
With that said, we chose the following for the best cordless lawn edger:
1. BLACK+DECKER LST300 Weed Whacker
This Weed Whacker could be for you if you prefer a lightweight yet durable unit. It runs on a 20-volt lithium battery pack so you can never run out of juice that easily. What’s more, we also saw that it has an adjustable handle and height position, which can be useful for those people who can’t reach the handle or feel uncomfortable with it.
Moreover, you can use its automatic feed spool so that you can reduce the likelihood of bumping, which can preserve the lifespan of the line/string used and the machine motor itself. It only requires any 0.065 inches sized line for you to use on the trimmer head. We also like the fact that it uses PowerDrive Transmission for its motor so that the string delivers great power without sacrificing that much battery life.
Consequently, there’s also a runtime extension technology feature that conserves battery life so you can use it for hours. Likewise, it has a cut swath of up to 12 inches so you can tackle more grass or weed in one pass.
- Uses a runtime extension technology feature
- Runs on a 20-volt lithium battery
- Has an adjustable handle and height position
- Has a cut swath of up to 12 inches
- Only requires any 0.065 inches sized line
If you want a lightweight cordless lawn trimmer, we’d like to recommend the BLACK+DECKER LST300 Weed Whacker for you.
2. DEWALT DCST920B 20V MAX String Trimmer
If you prefer to buy the battery and charger separately and save some cash, you can try this one as it is only a bare tool. We saw that it has up to 13-inch cutting swath so you can cover more area. What’s more, it has bump feed on its line system and it can accept up to 0.080″ line (dual) so it can cut more grass or weed in one pass. This means that you can get less fatigue when using it.
As a string trimmer, this one can be loaded with a 20V MAX 5.0Ah battery. Moreover, we also like the fact that it uses a variable trigger that has speed control. This allows you to precisely tune the speed so as not to ruin some of your plants in the garden with very wild speeds. This can work well for those who have delicate plants around.
Additionally, it has up to 6,000 RPM but you can also adjust it to up to 4,600 RPM depending on your needs. Likewise, you only need to assemble the whole trimmer or lawn edger when it arrives on your doorstep. Not to worry about the motor – it uses brushes technology so the noise and the overworking issues will not be prevalent.
- Switchable speeds from 4,600 RPM to 6,000 RPM
- Compatible with any 20V MAX 5.0Ah battery
- The feed line accepts 0.080″ line (dual)
- Has a 13-inch cutting swath
- Has a brushless motor inside
You might like the DEWALT DCST920B 20V MAX String Trimmer if you only want a bare tool cordless lawn edger.
3. Greenworks 13-Inch 40V Cordless String Trimmer/Edger
As a lawn edger and/or string trimmer, it comes with its own 2.0 AH battery at 40 volts so you can get the job done right away. Since it is lightweight and easy to handle, you will less likely have arthritis or joint pains when you lift it and use it on your lawn. Moreover, it has up to 9,000 RPM for speeds – great for big lawns or those with very thick and stubborn weeds in their yard.
We like the fact that it has a pivoting head so that you can maneuver the whole machine easier than most. This allows you to get them into every nook and cranny of your garden or yard. Additionally, since it is a lawn edger, there is compatibility with any edging wheel for its trimming head.
Starting up the whole trimmer can be a breeze – you only need to push the button to turn it on. And as with most cordless units, you can also replace the charger and battery set when it wears down (battery model 29472 and charger 29482).
- Includes a 2.0 AH battery at 40 volts
- Has a speed of up to 9,000 RPM
- The battery and charger can be replaced
- Ideal for large yards and thick grass/weed
- Has a pivoting head for easy maneuvering
We think that the Greenworks 13-Inch 40V Cordless String Trimmer/Edger could be for you if you want a motor speed of up to 9,000 RPM.
4. WORX WG163 GT 3.0 20V PowerShare Trimmer & Edger
Do you want a lawn edger wherein the manufacturer gives you free spools for life? This one is such, along with its easy line feeding due to the command feed spool system. Anyone can easily activate it using the push-button mechanism – you will no longer have to suffer from line feeding!
Moreover, we saw that it comes with 2 batteries so you can get started and you can also be used with other similar tools that are in the WORX Power Share family – convenient, right? We’d strongly recommend this if you use your edger more often, so you can just charge one battery while using the other one.
With a cutting swath of 12 inches, it seems good for most lawn sizes so you can get more in one pass. Also, we saw that it has an ergonomic handle that allows you to adjust and hold the trimmer in place without feeling awkward.
Due to its pivoting design, converting this trimmer into a tool that you can use for lawn edging be a breeze. And in fact, you don’t need any special tool to turn the trimmer into an edging tool in seconds!
- Comes with 2 batteries
- A lifetime supply of spool lines
- The batteries are compatible with any WORX Power Share family tool
- Has a cutting swath of 12 inches
- Ergonomic handle
Overall, you might like the WORX WG163 GT 3.0 20V PowerShare Trimmer & Edger since the manufacturer includes 2 batteries in one pack!
5. Earthwise LST02010 Cordless String Trimmer
For those who want a user-friendly trimmer or lawn edger, you can try this one: it has an adjustable shaft or handle that is telescopic so any person with different heights can use it comfortably – even Petites and even your grandma! Moreover, its motor is run by a 20-Volt 2. 0Ah lithium-ion battery.
As for the cutting swath, this one spans up to 10 inches so it can be okay for most smaller and medium-sized lawns. It can accept any 0.065″ nylon line (demo lines included in the pack) and it has an auto-feed mechanism. This allows you more time on using the machine rather than setting the line up with the hassle.
Edging can be a breeze – you can use this tool like a lawn edger by flipping down the edge guard to convert it. And did we mention that this edge guard is made of durable steel? This makes it quite durable against wear and tear.
What’s more, we found out that the tool is quite lightweight so you probably won’t have a lot of problems carrying it around your lawn for hours. Since its cut head is also adjustable for up to 3 positions, you can get into the narrowest spaces or make specific trims around your garden or lawn.
- Runs on a fast-charging lithium-ion battery
- The adjustable shaft or handle length
- Flips into a lawn edger in seconds
- Has a durable steel edge guard
- The cut head is adjustable for up to 3 different positions
We thought you’d like the Earthwise LST02010 Cordless String Trimmer if you want an adjustable telescoping handle.
6. Ryobi P2300A ONE+ Lithium-Ion Cordless Edger
Running at 18 volts of power with its lithium-ion battery compatibility (you’d have to buy the battery and charger separately as this is a bare tool), This lawn edger is strictly made for edging due to its included wheels and design.
There are two wheels to support the unit: one at the front and a bigger one at the back for more leverage. What’s more, since it is lightweight and easy to handle, we think you won’t have a lot of hassle or arm pain afterward!
Check this out: it also has a 4-position depth adjustment so you can adjust according to what kind of result you want for your garden or lawn. And since it has an over-mold handle, it can also help people with arthritis or frequent muscle and joint pain, as well as fatigued hands.
blade included with the trimmer/edger is a 9-inch blade that is serrated for easy landscaping needs. Since Ryobi is a trusted Japanese brand that sells quality power tools and gardening equipment, we think that this brand is a good choice for heavy-duty or even medium-duty lawn and yard work.
- Compatible with any lithium-ion battery at up to 18 volts
- Has wheels for mobility and stability
- Has a 9-inch serrated blade
- Lightweight and easy to handle
- Has a 4-position depth adjustment
If you want a lawn edger with support wheels then the Ryobi P2300A ONE+ Lithium-Ion Cordless Edger might be for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a question or two about cordless lawn edger tools, we’ll try to answer some of them below!
Question: How do I choose a cordless lawn edger?
Answer: If you don’t know where to start, here’s how to choose an ideal cordless lawn edger for your needs:
- What’s the cutting swath? This refers to the depth or the width of the edger, which is usually somewhere between 12 and 14 inches. If you need a bigger cutting swath for larger lawns, you can find them.
- What line does it accept? For string-type convertibles, look for the diameter of the line that’s accepted by the lawn edger. Going for something too thick or too thin can ruin the motor.
- Is it adjutable? Most cordless lawn edgers are adjustable in terms of their handle and height. This allows you to use it even if you’re not as tall as your dad or husband.
- Is it comfortable to use? Many people get fatigued hands with handling power tools and this is why having an ergonomic grip for your cordless lawn edger is a plus point.
- Does it have wheels? Having additional wheels can help to edge better for those who have shaky hands.
Question: Any safety tips on using a cordless lawn edger?
Answer: Always remember that when using any lawn edger, you should always wear protective clothing, such as gloves, goggles, and boots. Make sure no one is around (and we mean no one) to avoid injuries. Also, don’t go around your plants when edging your lawn (trim the grass manually there).
Question: How do I maintain a cordless lawn edger?
Answer: All you need to do is to charge it, since it is cordless, or replace the battery when needed. Replace the line (or blade) as needed depending on the user’s manual and clean the unit from any kind of debris to keep it running smoothly.
In the long run, a well-edged lawn not only looks aesthetically beautiful but it may also help with the resale value of your home. Maintaining your lawn’s edge can also make it easier for anyone to walk on the pavement without getting spiked by the grass and/or weed.
Edging your lawn doesn’t always have to be done with gas tools – there are now alternative power sources. We hope you liked our top picks for the best lawn edger!